Thursday, December 01, 2005

Iberia Pilots Almost Killed Me (back in 2000)

I don't know why this crossed my mind, but I thought of the flight that made wifey declare, "Once we're back in America, I'll never get on another plane."

The family and I flew to Spain in the summer of 2000. I'm Spanish so I have a lot of uncles, aunts and cousins in that yellow country. Anyway, we caught an Iberia jet (don't remember plane type - it was BIG) in Chicago and flew to Madrid. The flight from the states to Spain was uneventful and painfully boring. 3 seats in coach with my kid sprawled out asleep on me and my wife.

We spend a week in Spain in the coastal town of Chipiona. Sigh, I can still smell the Mediterranean...

But I digress and meander... We catch a plane from some small town in southern Spain to Madrid. I was immediately at ease because the plane had about 7-8 service men. It was unbelievably gratifying to be able to understand the conversations that were going on around me.

Nice clean take off... We begin our approach in Madrid. We happen to have wing seats so I'm looking out over the wing as we descend. I see the horizon and notice that the tip of the wing is dancing up and down over the horizon. That is the plane is yawing left and right.

Hmm, the pilots surely know what they're doing. I'm sure this will straighten out before we touch down. Look out the window again... The wing tips are rising and falling over and under the horizon. Not good, because I can see the city. We can't be more than 500 feet above the ground.

Uh oh. The damned wings are still bobbing. We're about to la... "Boom!" We hit the tarmac with exceptional force. Next, the oxygen masks drop from the ceiling! Unlike television, these oxygen masks didn't lazily fall from the ceiling. These oxygen masks shout out violently from their caves at the top of the cabin.

At this point I realize that my palms are sweating and my heart is pounding at my rib cage. Each pound a reminder that I'm still alive - Yay me.

The plane coasted to a stop. Not a word was said by anyone. As soon as we got off the plane, my wife gave me her remark that has held true for 5 years -- "Once we're back in America, I'll never get on another plane."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Sir Smith said...

Hello I am Sir Victor smith I am one of the agents sent by the high priest to bring as many of those who are interested in becoming a member of the Illuminati to the great Illuminati temple,am a business man I own companies all over the world but I was once like you I could not even feed my family what kind of life was that to live I lived in poverty until I saw an opportunity to be a member of the great Illuminati Family and I took my chances and I have been a member for close to seven years now.Illuminati makes your business/ careers grow these and many more other benefits so if you are interested write me via my mail victorsmith101@yahoo.com

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Sir said...

Hello I am Sir Victor smith, I am one of the agents sent by the
high priest to bring as many of those who are interested in seeing the light
and becoming a member of the Illuminati to the great
Illuminati temple,I am a business man I own companies all over the world
but I was once like you I could not even feed my family
what kind of life was that to live I lived in poverty until I saw an
opportunity to be a member of the great Illuminati Family
and I took my chances and I have been a member for close to eight years
now. Illuminati makes your business/ careers grow these and many more
other benefits so if you are interested write me via my mail victorsmith19721@yahoo.com

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home