Monday, November 14, 2005

Learning to Fly

It's Saturday afternoon and I'm hoeing the flowerbeds. My brother-in-law, Kevin, shows up with his newest toy - a remote control airplane.

Kevin's Plane Particulars:
  • Electric Powered
  • 36"-42" wingspan (guesstimate)
  • 36" long.
Kevin is beaming with pride as he showcases his new toy. Kevin tells me, "Come on, lets fly it." Sounds like a good idea to me, so we head out to the front yard. Kevin makes a couple of circles in the yard and asks, "How would you like to fly it?"

That sly smile creeps onto my face. And before I have time to ponder the question, I blurt out, "Yeah!"

So, Kevin gives me the basics and explains to me about his failures and how I should expect the same disastrous results. My ego says, "Yeah whatever. You just didn't know what in the hell you're doing." Unfortunately, my brain wasn't there to reply, "Neither do you."

So, I grab the remote control and start flying. Amazingly I make a nice slow loop around the yard (I have a *very* big yard -- think field). I'm prepared to turn the plane back torwards myself and Kevin.

Out of thin air, a small red, horned creature wielding a pitch fork appears on my shoulder. Before I have time to swat him away, he uses my mouth to say, "Kevin run."

At this point, I'm part of the nefarious plan -- Hit Kevin with his own plane! Excited, I begin to yaw the plane right. Hmm, my bearings are off, I need to yaw right, hard. With "Highway to the Danger Zone" playing in my mind, I yaw right hard!

Unfortnately, the hard turn has caused the plane to begin a dive. A STEEP FAST dive. The plane is headed directly torward the ground. There is no recovery.

Bam. The plane runs into the ground. It is perpendicular to the ground when it hits. That is the fuselage and the ground form a 90 degree angle.

Unfortunately, Kevin's plane wasn't engineered to handle this kind of stress. The right wing snapped off upon impact. I went from a "I'm maverick, kevin is goose" feeling to "I'm goose and I just died".

After a good laugh, Kevin said forget about it and was able to glue his wing back into place. Anyway, you can witness the devestation yourself. See the picture below.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jokes on you...

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home