Wednesday, December 28, 2005

My Southern Accent

We had a guest monk helping us in our GvG last night. Poor monk was not prepared for my southern accent. I'm from the south, but I don't speak like Jeff Foxworthy. As a matter of fact, I dare say my southern accent is very slight, perhaps nonexistent.

What our visitor expected is beyond me. I find my voice to be quite soothing, but I am self absorbed at times.

Why do people associate intelligence with one's voice? As silly as it may be, when I hear an English accent, I become enchanted and attribute the speaker with unearned intelligence points. I attribute these unearned intelligence points to the speaker's good English. That is, "American English" sounds very stupid. Broken phrases such as "Get this for free!" and "Due to inclement weather my flight was canceled" litter "American English" like junk food paper on our interstate system. When listening to the British use English, you don't hear these broken phrases. (Or maybe I just have not been exposed to enough Britts to hear that phrase).

Some of the 'Yank accents she found more amusing then others. So do I.

I've been musing over our visitor's perception of my accent. She sees American programming on her tele, so I assume she has associated bad things with the South. Which is too bad because it is her loss. For positive pictures about my favorite state click here. Because our visitor also visits this blog (sometimes she seems like the only one!) I'm sure she'll chime in. There is no trick in getting her to talk. The trick is getting her to shut up. :p

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff Foxworthy <--- who?

She sees American programming on her tele, so I assume she has associated bad things with the South. <--- OK, what? American programming = American TV shows and the such? (or is it what you do :P?)

I don't even know where the south is in America! lol, geography isn't a stong point of mine. So....why would I assume it is bad?
Unless you mean like all the shows that portray the Yanks from down South as imbred idiots, who marry their sisters, and can't read, nor write?

If so, I haven't heard anything of the such.... :|

And now I will shut up, I won't post for a while.....now we will see how loved your site is.....you will miss me, but nay, I won't come crawling back.

I'll be too busy writing poems, so take that. Honestly, tell me to shut up, will I never....

9:44 PM  
Blogger pythoncoder said...

Jeff Foxworthy is an American comedian from the South. I think he is from Georgia. He has a pronounced Southern accent.

American Programming -> You're clever ;).

Yes, I am referring to the hollywood stereotypes of my beloved South. Really, it is better that hollywood perpetuate this stereotype -- it keeps the loons out.

You shutup? I didn't realize you were so thin skinned. That was a friendly shutup. Don't take it personally :p. Obviously a culture difference. An American would have seen that as a joke, which is how I meant it.

Would you mind sharing your poetry? I do enjoy good poetry, but you're not allowed to disclose that to anyone.

6:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just so you won't bug me for a while, here is a Haiku I whipped up a few minutes ago, so it has had a lot of effort put into it :P

The title is -

Haiku no Haiku desu
(Haiku's Haiku)

To write a haiku
With lines of five, seven, five
Is not hard to do

Awesome, no ;)

2:05 PM  
Blogger POP said...

stop abusing kids in afganstan and america and europ and asia shit mother fucko shit assface shit

8:55 AM  
Blogger POP said...

i will fuck your mother fucko betch assholl shit mother fucko shit

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home