Thursday, December 08, 2005

Wifey ensared me ... again!

I was going through my evening cool-down ritual yesterday: Eat dinner and beat my wife at Wheel of Fortune.

All was going as planned, I had solved a puzzle here and there. I don't keep score, but I think I was up by 1. (Well, maybe I do keep score!)

Wifey asks me if I'll be taking vacation during the holidays. I reply, "No. I think I will go ahead and cash the days in." Where I work, you're allowed to either `roll-over' your unused vacation days or get paid for them.

Wifey: What are you going to do with that money?
Me: I don't know, I was thinking about upgrading my computer.
Wifey: Didn't you do that this year?
Me: Yeah, but I need a new video card. Mine is showing its age.
Wifey: You spent a big chunk of last year's bonus on that computer.
Me: Really? I didn't think it was *that* much.
Wifey: It was. Do you realize that when you get a large sum of money you never buy me anything.

At this point in the conversation, my mind began to race. What would my clever riposte be? Did I have one? And how would she parry it?!

Me: Umm. Uhh.

I begin to think... But you're a woman, you nickel-and-dime us to death! While you slowly bleed us, I go wild and gash us every now and then... But that wouldn't work here... What do I say...

Me: I don't always do that!

At this point I'm marveling at my debating ineptitude. This is going to be bad.

Wifey: Yes you do. [ She proceeds to enumberate the instances of self-spending. ]
Wifey: And don't dare buy me anything now. I'll think you did it because of this conversation.

Ahhh ha! I'll do what all desperate men do when they've been ensnared by the cunning wife -- I lie!

Me: How do you know I was not going to buy anything? Maybe I had planned on buying you something.
Wifey: You're lieing.
Me: How do you know?
Wifey: Your lips are moving.

At this point Wheel of Fortune comes back on and the conversation goes away. However, the hamster wheel is turning in my head. How in the hell did she trick me into this? Usually converstion survival is my forte. But today, I conceded to wifey. But I'm still getting that upgrade :p.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wifey: You're lieing.
Me: How do you know?
Wifey: Your lips are moving.

Now, tell me if I am wrong....when people speak (bar it in sign lingo, or brail, if you wish), don't their lips move anyway ;)

Maybe not :|

9:23 PM  
Blogger pythoncoder said...

It's a joke. Think of it in this context...

How can you tell if a New Zealander is lieing?

Their lips are moving.

5:39 AM  
Blogger Nancy A. McKeand said...

There's also a commercial on TV now where the guy says he knew his agent was lying because his lips were moving. I think it's a liquor ad.

Anyway, I wanted to thank you, pythoncoder, for reading and posting on my student's blog the other day. (He was confused about where Katrina hit.) It is fun for them to get comments -- especially ones that aren't spam!

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home